Find Meaning in Life to Boost Spiritual Readiness
The Army is actively combatting issues of domestic violence, substance misuse, and suicidality. Researchers find that the root of the problem may be a lack of purpose or meaning in life. According to psychologist Martin Seligman, meaning comes from belonging to and serving something beyond yourself and developing the best within you.
To cultivate a better understanding of your state of being, invest in spiritual readiness—the ability to endure and overcome difficulties through finding meaning in our life experiences. Harnessing spirituality in our lives empowers us, even during the toughest moments.
Here are some strategies for developing your spiritual readiness:
- Set clear goals. Setting goals helps to increase motivation, even for everyday tasks that might lack meaning. Goals can connect these actions to a bigger picture or purpose. Setting a goal is an act of optimism as you construct a plan for achievement. Identify your priorities and leverage your personal values to motivate action. When you are motivated by your values, such as integrity or Family, you are more likely to achieve the goal when you face obstacles. Hold yourself accountable and share your goals with others to help build connection to those who can provide encouragement.
- Practice daily gratitude. Gratitude gives us a sense of fulfillment and hope for the future. It’s easy to overlook some of the positive moments in our lives. We get so caught up in what’s ahead and the next thing we have to accomplish or overcome. Take time to be grateful for positive moments, goals accomplished, and relationships built.
- Have conversations with people you trust on the topic of meaning. This will help you strengthen your purpose, explore ways to live more fully, and build connection.
Ask difficult questions:
- Why am I here and what is my purpose?
- Do I believe in a cause that’s bigger than just me?
- Who and what in my life provides the most meaning?
- How do I explain the things that happen to me?
Use these strategies to uncover a sense of meaning in your life experiences. Soldiers who have a greater understanding about their purpose, core values, beliefs, identity, and life vision can better persevere through challenges and adversity