Army Sexual Harassment/Assault Response & Prevention

harassed hero image

Sexual harassment falls within a continuum of intolerable, unprofessional behaviors that may increase the likelihood of sexual assault. There is a clear correlation between sexual harassment and sexual assault. Attitudes that allow or enable forms of harassment, beginning with hazing and bullying, can lead to more egregious behaviors and progress into sexual harassment/assault.

Continuum of Harm

What Should I Do?

You should be able to feel comfortable and secure in your workplace or learning institution. The person harassing you can be any gender and could be a leader (including indirect supervisor), another Soldier, or a coworker. If you are being sexually harassed, it is not your fault. If you are ready to file a complaint, we can help you navigate the process.

Find your SARC

It’s Sexual Harassment if Someone:

  • Implies you can advance professionally if you trade sexual favors.
  • Implies you will lose your job or that your career will suffer if you do not trade sexual favors.
  • Makes sexual or crude jokes referring to sexual acts or sexual orientation.
  • Touches you or makes unwanted physical contact.
  • Makes unwelcome sexual advances.
  • Discusses sexual relations/stories/fantasies in the workplace.
  • Shares sexually explicit photos, emails, or text messages.
  • Gossips about your romantic history or sexual orientation.

Who Should I Talk To?

The process for filing a complaint may feel daunting, but we are here to help you through it. When you are ready to talk, there are people ready to help you and support you. Know that you have options. The most important thing is that you find what works for you. If you want immediate, confidential help call 877-995-5247 to be connected with a trained Safe Helpline staff member.

DSN users can call Safe Helpline by dialing 877-995-5247.

For those unable to call toll-free or DSN, call 202-540-5962.

Chat with Staff Member

How do I File a Sexual Harassment Complaint

I am a Soldier

Soldiers can file a formal complaint with a BDE SARC or lead SARC. Formal complaints must be sworn to, will be investigated, are subject to timelines, and require documentation of the actions taken.

  • A Formal complaint uses a DA Form 7746 (Sexual Harassment Complaint). A BDE SARC or lead SARC can assist you and assign a Victim Advocate if you want one. You are entitled to advocacy services such as accompaniment, safety planning, crisis intervention, and referrals for counseling and other services.
  • The SARC will enter information into ICRS and immediately refer the complaint to your BDE Commander.
  • The BDE Commander will evaluate the complaint with assistance from their SJA. If there is enough information to initiate an investigation, the commander will appoint an investigating officer outside of the subject's brigade.
  • The subject's O-6 will determine if an MPO (Military Protective Order) is warranted. They will ensure that one is issued as soon as possible, but no later than six hours after making the determination. Commanders will ensure, to the maximum extent practicable, that complainants and subjects avoid contact.
  • The first GCMCA in the victim or complainant's chain of command will be informed of all Formal complaints within 72 hours of the BDE commander receiving them.

I am an Army Civilian

Army Civilians who wish to file a Sexual Harassment complaint must contact their local EEO office for assistance within 45 calendar days of the alleged discriminatory act. Consult AR 690-600 , Equal Employment Opportunity Discrimination Complaints, Chapter 3, Section IV, Para 3-11 for additional information.

Note: If sexual harassment is one of the claims raised and the Civilian employee is directly supervised by a military officer of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps; they will be advised that there are two statutes applicable to him or her (that is, Title VII and 10 USC, Section 1561) and that processes established under those statutes can be used simultaneously. They will be informed of the point of contact designated by the commander to receive 10 USC, Section 1561 complaints and that he or she must contact this individual in order to file a complaint under 10 USC, Section 1561. The EEO counseling shall then continue with procedures established under 29 CFR, Part 1614 and Army EEO processing guidelines.